The deadline for EU nationals to apply for settled status passed on 30th June, but for some people, the deadline of 30 June 2021 does not apply. This is true if they are one of the following:
• the family member of someone from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein who was living here by 31 December 2020, and they join them in the UK on or after 1 April 2021
• the family member of an eligible person of Northern Ireland, but they could not move back to the UK by 31 December 2020 without the individual - who must be from outside the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein
• exempt from immigration control, or you stopped being exempt from immigration control after 30 June 2021
• here with limited leave to enter or remain in the UK (for example, if they are here on a work or study visa) which expires after 30 June 2021
• a family member of a British citizen who the person lived with in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein - they must have lived with them in that country by 30 December 2020, and returned to the UK with them
Therefore if you have employees who fall into this category, encourage them to put in an application as soon as possible.
However, if you have employees who did not apply and who should have done so, they can put in a late application if they can show “reasonable grounds” for why they did not apply in time.
• people whose parent, guardian or local authority did not apply for them when they were a child
• people who have, or had, a medical condition which prevented them from applying
• people who have been the victim of modern slavery
• people who have been in an abusive or controlling relationship
• people without internet access, or access to relevant documents
• people came to the UK on a work or study visa and became eligible to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme while they were here, but did not know they could apply
• people who already have indefinite leave to enter or remain, and did not know they could apply to the scheme
• people who had permanent residence status or a residence document that stopped being valid after 30 June 2021, and did not know that they needed to apply to the scheme
• people who had difficulty accessing support to apply because of coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions
• another compelling practical or compassionate reason prevented you applying.
Anyone applying late will need to provide evidence to support the reasons for missing the deadline. See https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families
for more information.